Beginner Beekeepers, if only I knew this all before my bees arrived! I see there are quite a few people who have written about Bee Mentors. They are few and far between. And this is mostly why… Remember, they are already Beekeepers tending to their own hives. During the ‘working months’, maintaining more hives than they signed up for can be exhauting and they have no ‘connection’ with them. So unless it’s a good friend, try to read books, find other or a local Beekeepers group and ask as many questions you can!
So Beginners read below, I hope this helps!
– WALK YOUR PROPERTY. HIVES MUST BE NEAR A WATER SOURCE AND FACING SOUTHEAST WITH AT LEAST 9-10 HOURS OF SUNSHINE. NO SHADY PLACES! UPLOAD A COMPASS APP TO YOUR PHONE, IT HELPS WHEN DOING THIS
– ABSOLUTE MUST: KEEP A BEE JOURNAL FOR EACH HIVE with detailed notes and occasional photos. Keep notes even if nothing seems to have ‘changed’. An active Queen has healthy brood patterns (where eggs are laid on each frame).
– DO NOT PAINT ANYTHING THAT IS INSIDE THE HIVE I.E. FRAMES, WALLS OF HIVE AND EVEN INSIDE TOP (CEILING) – IT MUST BE AS STERILE AS NATURE MADE IT
1 – bottom board, assembled and painted
2 – deep brood boxes w/frames (8 or 10 depending on their size) and plasticell foundation, assembled and painted
1 – medium depth super w/frames (8 or 10 depending on their size) and plasticell foundation, assembled and painted
1 – inner cover
1 – top cover, assembled and painted
1 – hive tool
1 – 4×7 smoker and fuel – best is dried twigs, dried leaves, dried wood chips (not dust or shavings), unbleached paper like paper bags, and unbleached or treated torn rags (i.e. old towels)
1 – Long nosed, fire lighter
1 – bee brush (optional)
1 – plastic queen excluder
1 – wooden hive entrance
1 – leather gloves
1 – Hat veil pullover combo or full suit
– Large Rock to keep top closed from area predators, one for each hive
– separate shed for supplies near the hive – keeping things in your garage can discourage Beekeepers from going back and forth to hives and helps forgetfulness
Any other questions, you can email me directly at email@example.com
PLEASE KNOW I only write from my own experiences. I do not make recommendations on companies or brands and am not being paid for any of my writings. I am an independent Beekeeper with about 6 years experience under my belt. I am learning as I go and post/publish unbiased information as I feel it may help other Beekeepers.